February 20, 2023
Metal roofs can handle Florida’s extreme weather conditions better than any other roofing type. They keep homes dry, protect the people inside, and give homeowners peace of mind. However, signs of rust and corrosion may leave you scratching your head and wondering, “Why is my metal roof rusting?”
Although metal roofs have many advantages, one disadvantage is the potential to rust. Learn why a metal roof might rust and a few metal roofing maintenance tips to help prevent this issue.
Reasons Your Metal Roof Might Be Rusting
It’s not uncommon for metal roofs to develop rust over time. The iron in the metal reacts with moisture, producing reddish rust stains.
Rusted metal roofs are a cause for concern because they are more susceptible to damage and can put your property and family at risk.
Your metal roof might rust for a wide variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common:
- Poor installation: You could be facing rust problems due to an improper or incomplete roof installation. Failing to install your metal roof correctly can expose the metal material and leave it vulnerable to the elements.
- Jagged cuts: Roofers cut metal sheets to fit your roof during the installation process. However, the materials may rust if they didn’t cut the sheets cleanly and left exposed edges.
- Inferior materials: Some roofing materials are more prone to rust than others. Aluminum and galvanized steel are rust-resistant and popular options. However, oxidation may occur if you don’t galvanize a regular steel roof.
- Old coatings: Your metal roof has a protective coating that helps deter rust and oxidation. After a while, though, this layer of protection can wear out.
How to Keep Your Metal Roof from Rusting
“Why is my metal roof rusting?” — it could be for any number of reasons. You’ll want to have your roof inspected and check for exposed edges and weak spots. Once you know why your roof is rusting, your roofer can determine the appropriate solution.
You should leave most roof repairs to roofing professionals. However, you can follow a few steps to keep your roof from rusting and help it last as long as possible. Some easy, simple things you can do include the following:
- Use the right type of paint and material
- Ensure that the installation project goes correctly
- Reapply protective coatings every 5 to 12 years
- Perform regular maintenance, such as annual inspections and trimming branches near the roof
PRS Roofing: Top-rated Roofing Services in Orlando, FL
A rusty metal roof might not seem like a big deal at first, but it can lead to worse problems. You’ll want to inspect your roof regularly and check for signs of oxidation. An experienced roofer can spot issues early and help you decide the best next step.
If you’re wondering, “Why is my metal roof rusting?” and looking for answers, you’ve come to the right place! At PRS Roofing, we offer top-quality roofing services in the Orlando, FL, area for all your needs. Learn more about common roofing problems like roof rot or call us today at (800) 750-9198 to get a free quote.