February 13, 2023
Florida is known for its beautiful beaches, warm weather, and premier vacation destinations. However, it’s also known for thunderstorms, hail, and hurricanes. Most residents expect high winds and scorching heat, but hail is another factor that can cause trouble.
Hail damage on metal roofs can be worrisome for many Floridian homeowners. But just how worried should you be? In this article, we’ll discuss what you can expect from hail damage and practical steps for maintaining metal roofs.
How Can Hail Damage a Metal Roof?
High-quality metal roofs can last over 30 years and protect your home from all kinds of adverse weather conditions. Other roofing materials (such as asphalt shingle and clay tile) are more susceptible to strong winds and harmful UV rays. Metal roofs, on the other hand, are much more durable.
That said, hail can still damage your metal roof. It will typically only cause minor cosmetic damage, but this could lead to roof leaks and complications with your insurance company. Several factors contribute to the type of damage you may face, including the following:
- Hailstone size: Larger hailstones will cause more physical damage than smaller ones. High winds can hurl the stones with exceptional force and cause dents and scratches.
- Roof slope: Your roof’s slope angle will also impact the severity of the damage. Flat roofs receive the full force of the hailstones, and steeper roofs can reduce much of the impact.
- Roofing material: Old, worn-out metal roofs are more susceptible to hail damage. However, a metal roof with maximum impact resistance can withstand even the largest hailstones.
What to Do After a Hail Storm: When to Call a Roofing Company
Hail damage is usually cosmetic. However, you should never assume everything is okay just becaues you don’t see a visible hole in your roof. Getting a thorough inspection after any type of storm is always a good idea to ensure that your metal roof stays in tip-top shape.
Hail damage on metal roofs can take various forms. Most of the time, you’ll only see minor dents and dings that a skilled roofer can quickly repair. You may also notice gutter damage and chipped paint or scratches.
How to Minimize Hail Damage on Your Metal Roof
Here are a few easy, straightforward ways to care for your roof and reduce the severity of hail damage:
- Schedule regular roof inspections
- Clean out the gutters
- Keep branches away from the roof
- Take care of minor damage
- Avoid walking on the roof
- Use the right cleaning products
- Consult a knowledgeable roofing professional
Get Top-quality Hail Damage Repairs From PRS Roofing
Hail damage isn’t typically a concern for homes with metal roofs, but dents and dings can be frustrating. Large hailstones may pummel your roof and affect its overall appearance.
Are you looking for reliable roofing installation and repair in the Orlando, FL, area? Repairing hail damage on metal roofs is no problem for an experienced company like PRS Roofing. Our team of experts can identify issues quickly and apply the best solution for long-lasting results. Learn about impact-resistant roofs or call us today at (800) 750-9198 for a free quote!